Welcome! ...All Things Venomous
- Founded in July, 2012, The North American Society of Toxinology (NAST) is a North America-based, international, multidisciplinary organization dedicated to the advancement of the science of all things venomous. We are a 501(c)(3) organization under the U.S. Internal Revenue Service.
Members include medical clinicians, veterinarians, basic scientists, zoo and collections management personnel, animal scientists, herpetologists, antivenom researchers and developers, and others with an interest in venomous animals and their venoms. Collaborations across disciplines and the adventure of working in this field make Venom Week meetings unlike any other scientific meeting.
Join NAST ("Membership" tab above) to help support Venom Week meetings.
Venom Week Symposiums
- Here's an interesting case series of tickbite fatalities in Australia. The Ixodes genus, however, is found around the globe, including the U.S. and Europe.
- Part I of the abstracts from Venom Week V have been published online in Toxicon, Volume 117. For those with a subscription, here is the link to the issue: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/00410101/117
- The second half of the abstracts is scheduled for a future issue.
- I will link to the PDFs here when permission is received.
- A very moving film clip about the burden of snakebite in the developing world: https://vimeo.com/167436988
- 125,000 people die each year across the tropics from snakebite, with two to three times that number losing limbs, or suffering from long-term wound care and permanent disfigurement. Affecting mostly the rural poor, snakebite is considered to be one of the most neglected of all neglected tropical diseases.
- The following footage, filmed in seven countries, is part of a larger documentary currently in final production, due for release in late fall 2016. For more information on the documentary, please contact email@example.com
- For more information on snakebite, visit snakebiteinitiative.org
- You read it here first! Venom Week VI will be held in Kingsville, Tx, and organized/Chaired by Elda Sanchez. Congratulations, Elda! The meeting date and other details to follow.
- Here's a link to the XII Panamerican IST meeting, September 18 - 23,Miami Beach, FL.
- The abstracts from Venom Week V will be published in the July issue of Toxicon (Volume 117) and will be available online in June.
- Pics of the Venom Week V meeting are now loaded into a slideshow in the "Past Meetings" tab.
- The FDA has extended the expiration date of North American Coral Snake Antivenin (Micrurus fulvius) (Equine Origin) Lot 4030024 Through April 30, 2017. Here's the link:
- Venom Week VI is now in the planning stage. Check back periodically for announcements.
- The brochure and agenda from VWV has been moved to the PAST MEETINGS tab. Abstracts and photos will be posted when available.
- Here is the presentation given by Dan Keyler, President of NAST, on the history of Venom Week meetings, as well as NAST's history and future.
- Visit the NAST Facebook page for updates as well as our social medial face.
Venom Week image logo courtesy of the Henry Doorly Zoo.